The Memorial of the Bradford Pals
The stone near the village of Serre was unveiled by the Lord Mayor of Bradford on Saturday and overlooks trenches used by the soldiers in the battle.
It is a replica of one in the Memorial Gardens in Bradford.
Pals battalions were formed as friends and colleagues enlisted together, many were formed in northern towns.
The inscription on the stone reads: “To the memory of the soldiers of the Bradford Pals and the other servicemen of West Yorkshire who served in the Great War 1914-18. ‘And lo a mighty army came out of the North.”
The stone was quarried in Bradford and transported to France.
The first Bradford Pals battalion was raised at the Bradford Mechanic’s Institute in 1914 and a hundred-year-old union jack that flew above the institute was used in the unveilin